Eid ul-fitr is just around the corner and the festive vibe has begun to take over the air already. Eid marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan. It is one of the most widely celebrated festivals around the world. This year Eid is going to be celebrated on 15th June, 2018. Eid ul-fitr is also known as Meethi Eid as the primary dish of Eid ul-fitr is Meethi Sevaiyan. But Eid is not just about Meethi Sevaiyan. There are a number of delicious desserts which are a part of lavish Eid celebration. We have come across some of those desserts and here are the recipes:
1. Sevaiyan ki Burfi
As we mentioned above, Meethi Sevaiyan is the primary dish of Eid ul-fitr. Sevaiyan ki burfi is a very innovative way to enjoy those yummy meethi sevaiyan. Nuts like pistachios and almonds enhance the beauty of this.
Ingredients: 200gm Sevaiyan, 100gm Desi Ghee, 250ml Milk, 120gm Khoya, 100gm Sugar, 40gm Almonds, 30gm Pistachios, 25gm Raisins
How to Make:
- Dry roast sevaiyan in a pan.
- Add desi ghee and toss it for a minute.
- Add milk to the above and let it boil.
- Now add khoya, sugar and toss it till it blends and you get a thick pouring consistency.
- Set it in a tray and sprinkle nuts and dry fruits slivers.
- Let it cool and serve it at room temperature
Shahi Tukda is a very royal dessert. It originally comes from Nawabi food’s menu. It is very famous in North India and is extremely blissful. Deep fried pieces of bread with thickened sweetened milk and mawa along with sprinkled nuts is something irresistible.
Ingredients: 6 slices bread, Ghee to deep fry, 1 1/4 cups milk, 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk, Sugar to taste,Few strands Saffron, Few drops kewra essence or kewra water,150 gram mawa/khoya,1/2 tsp cardamom powder,1 cup fresh cream, Some Cashews, Pistachios, Almond to garnish
How to Make:
1. Remove crust from the bread slices and cut each slice into two.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and deep fry the bread till golden brown and crispy.
3. Drain and arrange on a serving plate.
4. Heat milk and add the condensed milk along with saffron and few drops of essence. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes stirring at regular intervals.
5. Pour this milk mixture on top of the bread and let it soak up the milk.
6. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan and lightly fry the crushed mawa along with cardamom powder and a tablespoon of sugar. Spread this mawa layer on top of the bread.
7. Add a few drops of kewra essence to the cream. Spread this cream on top of the mawa.
8. Sprinkle chopped nuts. Chill for 4-5 hours. Serve.
Phirni is an elegant dessert made with rice and milk. Its creamy texture is enhanced by the pistachios.
Ingredients: 1-litre milk, 1/2 cup sugar, ¼ cup basmati, 2 tbsp pistachios, 2 tbsp canola oil, 1 pod green cardamom seeds, 6-8 saffron stigmas
How to Make:
- In thick, heavy bottom pan, toast rice with canola oil for 3-4 minutes. Then add milk and cardamom seeds and reduce over sim flame until rice is very tender and almost pasty in texture and milk reduces by a quarter.
- Add saffron stigmas, pistachios and sugar and stir well until flavours steep into mixture evenly.
- Check sweetness and consistency; phirni should have thick-pouring consistency.
- Set phirni in ramekin dishes equally and let cool initially at room temperature for 25 minutes then chill in refrigerator below 4°C for 45 minutes. Serve.
What would be better than a rich, creamy and home-made kulfi! Malai kulfi is very delicious and kid’s favourite. It is a true celebratory dessert for Eid.
Ingredients: 1 litre full fat milk, 250 ml cream, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 6 cardamoms, some chopped pistachios, few strands of saffron soaked in milk
How to Make:
- Heat milk and cream in wide bottomed pan and bring to boil. Allow the milk to simmer at medium flame and till it becomes half of its original volume. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add powdered sugar, cardamom and nuts
- Mix well and keep stirring at medium flame till it becomes 1/3rd of its original volume. It will become thick like rabdi.
- Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
- Once cool, place the mixture in refrigerator for few hours.
- Pour this chilled mixture in kulfi moulds, close the lid and place these moulds in freezer. Allow them to set overnight.
- Once set, place the moulds in luke warm water to allow the kulfi to unmould easily. Insert ice cream stick, garnish with more nuts and serve.
5.Double ka meetha
Double ka meetha is a delicious dessert popular in Hyderabad. It was a celebratory dish in the pricely courts of nizams and is still prepared for the celebrations. It is one of widely prepared desserts in the Eid celebrations in Hyderabad and Telangana. It is somewhat similar to the shahi tukda in taste, but the differene is in the thickness of bread.
Ingredients: 1 bread loaf, ½ litre of milk, ½ cup sugar, some chopped dry fruits and nuts like cashews, raisins, almonds and pistachios, 3 tbsp ghee, 2 cardamoms, ½ to ¾ cup water
How to Make:
- Heat milk on medium flame in a non-stick pan.
- Reduce the flame to low and heat until the milk is reduced to half. Add saffron strands and cardamom and keep stirring. Turn off the heat and pour the milk into a bowl. Let it cool.
- Now, prepare the sugar syrup. For this you would need to take half a glass of water. Put some sugar and bring it to boil. Heat and stir until you get a one string consistency.
- Cut the bread in cubes and fry them in ghee until they turn golden brown. Make sure you check the temperature of oil in advance, else you can burn the bread.
- Take out the fried bread pieces and place them on a tray. Make sure you place a tissue on the tray beforehand to help the bread drain better.
- Now, layer the fried bread with sugar syrup and condensed saffron milk. Top it with nuts and dry fruits of your choice. Let the bread soak in the mixture for at least 30 minutes. Once the bread soaks in the milk mixture, serve the dessert.
Sheer Khurma is a creamy dessert is ideal for every festuve occasion. The blend of nuts with sevaiyan and cardamom flavoured milk is perfect you make you go crazy!
Ingredients: 2.5 cups full fat milk, ¼ cup fine vermicelli, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp rose water, cardamom powder, 2 tbsp dates, 2 tbsp raisins, some cashews, almonds
How to Make:
- Boil milk in a pan until it shrinks to almost half in volume. Meanwhile you can chop the dry fruits and nuts.
- Soak dates in warm milk and set aside.
- Heat butter in a pan and add the nuts and raisins fry till slightly browned and is crispy. Set aside.
- In the same pan add vermicelli and roast till golden brown.
- Then add half of milk and let the vermicelli get cooked.
- Once the vermicelli turns soft add sugar, cardamom powder, give a quick stir.
- Add remaining milk and let it boil in low flame.
- Once it is thick add the roasted nuts, dates, rose water give a stir and cook for 2mins then switch off.
- It will get thickened with time so switch off accordingly. Serve.
Get ready for the lavish Eid celebration this year and don’t forget to add one of these recipes to your menu!